Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The progress on the first building at Restoration Ranch is exciting to watch. I have to admit that it goes slower than I thought, but that is simply because I truly had no idea what all has to be done to make a proper building with concrete and rebar. Each step takes its time and must be completed before the next one is taken. The up side to that is seeing the difference after some of the work is done. When we came back from Australia we went straight out to see the project. Wood had been placed on top, as if it were a ceiling, so that a cement floor could eventually be poured. (Silly me - I thought all we needed was the wood framing and we could pour concrete!) The thing that was so exciting was to walk through the downstairs part of the house that now has something that resembles a ceiling. Before, it was still open to the skies. Each little step makes it more and more into the home for children we desire for it to be.

For those of you who also thought that the wood framing was enough, let me explain a little bit. Keep in mind my limited knowledge of construction! After the framing went up, steel frames of rebar had to be built to place throughout the building perimeter and on other load-bearing walls in order to have a strong bond beam. Then a mat of rebar had to be built and placed on the wood framing to provide strength for the cement that is yet to be poured. After that process the electricians could begin to put conduit in the walls to prepare for eventual wiring. Then some plumbing prep, and well, I don't know. If we do something else before we have the cement poured I'll let you know!

No comments: